Maintenance and Care
- Bamboo Rescue provides maintenance work for client's bamboo in there landscape.
- Rhizome pruning- The highest priority and essential after grove establishment.
- Culm thinning- Removal of dead old culms or weak small ones.
- Pruning- Removing all lower branches and leaves.
- Water - Needed in the driest times of the year, mostly summer.
- Irrigation - A drip irrigation system on a timer is usually the best.
- Timing - Watering every other day for 10 minutes, in the early morning at the height of summer.
- Fertilizing - If you want your bamboo to grow really fast, otherwise not totally necessary.
- Mulch - A top layer of mulch to add nutrients and cold tolerance and stop weeds from seeding as easily.
Below are bamboo groves that have been maintained or pruned
the photos were taken before and after
The photo on the left was taken on August 11th 2006, when first planted
The photo on the right was taken on July 23rd 2007, one year later
(courtesy of ubertallman Jesse)